Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spun, Refined, or Raw


There is good research out there showing what we already know: Americans eat too much sugar and it is ruining our already comprised health. Pause and consider some of the major sugar-related diseases and conditions: obesity, hypoglycemia, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, dementia, cancer and even epilepsy. Now reread that list and consider how many people you know who suffer from any of those diseases. Scary.

Someone who clearly understands the good and evil of cupcakes.
How something that tastes so delicious be so bad? 
Day of the Dead Sugar Skulls bwahahahahaha

I am a big believer in changes I can live with. I am simply not going to give up sugar forever. Could I live with having it less often? Yes I could. Can I live with no sugar for two days? Absolutely.  And so....

I decided to dive in and invite you, my loyal and enthusiastic readers to join me <ummm..helllo? is this thing on? Can you hear me now?>. The challenge is very doable: pick a measly two days this week to give up sugar and sugar substitute.  So, no sugar in your coffee, no dried fruit in your oatmeal, no ketchup on your burger (damn, I hate this last one) no sugarless gum.  The goal is to increase your awareness of how much sugar, or sugar substitute is in your diet; especially sugar you don’t realize is there (hellooooo spaghetti sauce).  I’ll spell it out for you:
 
Who: You. Yes you right there, don't be a pussy, just do it.

What’s out: Sugar, honey, agave, corn syrup and these sugar substutes: stevia, aspartame, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame potassium, saccharin, xylitol, sorbitol. No jam, no juice, no cereal that has sugar in it either. 

The loophole: There’s always a loophole and here is yours: if you are going on a long athletic endeavor be it biking, running, hiking, whatevering, and you usually have a goo or a sports drink then you may continue to do so.  However, when said workout is over you may not reach for the chocolate milk and start chugging, instead have a piece of fruit with natural peanut or almond butter. You may not suddenly introduce this sugar into your workout if you don’t usually have it. Come on. It’s two days. You can do it, oh yes you can.

Why: the goal here is to increase your awareness of what you put into your body, and what is in even the healthy food that we eat. Go ahead and practice a healthier eating pattern, just for a short amount of time. Feel the thrill of victory and success after your two days is over. I was telling a friend about this and she immediately jumped on the why only two days bandwagon.  Frankly, two days is short enough for me to take it on, that’s why. I would not sign up for a month of no sugar or no gluten or no meat or whatever insane hair shirt pain in the ass eating program you think is so wonderful. But I would try a day. Or two. You want to sign up for longer, please do. 

How: THINK before you pop something in that gaping maw of yours. Check the labels before you whip up dinner. If your salsa has sugar in it (and, sadly, it just might) then don’t eat it.   On the plus side, you can make things pretty easily with no sugar. Chop up tomatoes, a pepper some avocado and walla, you’ve got sugar free salsa. 

Food ideas: “slow cooked” oatmeal. The packaged stuff is full of sugar. Did you know you can make slow cooked oatmeal in your microwave in less than 5 minutes? It cooks up in 10 on your stovetop. Add fresh fruit and nuts. Cottage cheese with chopped up red peppers, celery and carrots. No sugar added peanut butter on a banana.  Grilled veggies and meat, but watch your marinades as these are typically loaded with sugar. For salad dressing, try olive oil and vinegar with a dash of mustard and salt. Fresh fruit and veggies of all kinds are welcome.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in! But I will be grouchy w/o my coffee + coffee mate. It's a small but attainable goal... Nice loop hole :-p

    ... My baby got sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a day late but I'm no pussy. so far... no sugar.

    FYI there is a study suggesting that just swishing sports beverage in your mouth and sptting it out has a similar effect as drinking it. Some sort of Pavlovian response mechanism...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem living without sugar here. I never add it to anything and make my own spag sauce (crappiest homemade sauce way better than any store-bought btw).

    I'll be on the lookout for any surprises in the list of ingredients 8)

    But no dried fruits is a little bit tough...why that one in your examples? (Love my dried cranberries)

    ReplyDelete